Saturday, July 30, 2011

Phew

This summer it seems our "busyness" has come in spurts. Last week was one of them.

Summer in the south brings on the Vacation Bible School season. I went to VBS as a kid but as I grew older I don't remember there being as many around as there used to be. Maybe I just didn't notice since I was older or maybe it was because our church stopped having VBS. Nevertheless, VBS is going strong down here and our church seems to round out the season in Wewa the last week of July every year.


This year I was recruited to help with our 7th and 8th graders. Along with the other leaders (who also happen to be friends of mine) we had a good week with our middle schoolers. Honestly, you just never know how it's going to be with this age group, but all went pretty smoothly. 


Our theme this year was Drive (Philippians 3:14), revolving around stock car racing/NASCAR. Now, I know nothing about racing but I did learn a couple of things this week and the kids really caught on to and enjoyed the theme.


This year was Addie's first year of being part of a class. For the first couple of nights I was helping in the background and missed her sitting with her class during the opening and closing services each night, but by the middle of the week I was able to covertly watch her interacting with the kids and dancing and doing the motions to the songs...until she caught me. After that first time she saw me and came running I was better at hiding so I could watch her. Seeing her dancing and jumping and having fun, all apart from my supervision (but well supervised by her awesome group leaders) made me happy and a little teary all at the same time. I am so thankful she is able to interact and have fun, but I realized what a big girl she is and just how fast she is growing. It made me so glad to hear her teachers tell me, at the end of the sessions each night, how well she did and how good she was. I think sometimes, as a mom, I feel so compelled to make sure my kid is doing right or what she's "supposed" to be doing. So, to hear that your kid, apart from you, is doing well, is some sort of relief, I think. Maybe that comes from knowing the not-so-great times with your kids and being glad they're being good for other people. Or, maybe it is knowing that, hey, they're okay without us around all of the time, hovering over them. Whatever it is, it is a good feeling.


Last night wrapped up the official week of VBS, and tomorrow night is the closing service when the parents are all invited to join us and get a glimpse of what's been going on all week. Since I was terrible at taking pictures (i.e., none.) I stole one of Addie's class from a Facebook friend.


Take note - she is wearing a BOW in her hair! I can't remember the last time she wore one and kept it in her hair. I'm letting her bangs grow so now they're always in her eyes. Maybe we can keep this trend going.


We've had semi-busy days and late nights due to VBS, so we're getting back on track this week. I am looking forward to seeing some close friends from Illinois who are in the Panhandle for vacation this week. The following week my sister, brother-in-law and nephews will be around, too! I'm really looking forward to having a bit of home around.


I am thankful for a good VBS week!

No comments: