Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Are you a product of the playpen?

Recently I have been scouring craigslist to find a good deal on a playard. Once known as a playpen, I have wondered, more than once, when and why the word "playpen" seems to have disappeared and when the new, more modern word "playard" has come into existence. Not only has the word changed, but the style has as well. Years ago you might find something like this:

But now you're more likely to find something like this:In the midst of my search and my wondering about this, I stumbled upon this article that talks about this very thing. Just sharing for the sake of sharing in the event that any of you have wondered about it, too.


Jamie said...

i call it a playpen or a pack n play. we have one of the old school "playpens" at my parents house and i LOVE it. i think my mom picked it up at a garage sale the first day i told her i was pregnant.

good luck in your hunt. i would be more than happy to send ours to wewa but we use it all the time still.

Melissa said...

Yep, you're totally right, Jamie, pack n play is the running word, too. That one slipped my mind. It is just interesting to me, how it has "evolved," so the the article piqued my interest. We're not in dire need of one, but I can see it coming. I DID find a jumperoo in great condition and at a great price this weekend on craigslist and I can't wait to get Addie in it!