Thursday, September 1, 2011

Sweet September

According to Facebook, on this day last year my status message said something about ushering in September and hoping for cooler temperatures. Well, it is September but the cooler temps are many days away.


On the other hand, Addie is bringing in the fall months with a runny nose. I'm praying it is short-lived and is nothing more than a little congestion. Please, no ear infections! My sweet girl.


My husband started the month off right.


Flowers (these were part of my wedding bouquet):




And lunch and a milkshake from Chick-fil-A. The lunch I knew about, the shake was a surprise.



So far, September isn't so bad. That is, as long as Addie's runny nose doesn't get worse.


Last night in our youth service we split the guys and girls into two groups. Usually on the last Wednesday night of the month we separate into small groups but this Wednesday we had just enough workers to split into guys and girls. We were discussing Matthew 5:38-48. In this portion of scripture the Bible is instructing us how to deal with our enemies, when someone does us wrong and how to be more proactive in how we deal with those who come against us. We talked about revenge and what an "eye for an eye" really means and we discussed all that drama that the kids are always talking about is going around.


This lesson is a great reminder for teenagers, but a good one for me, too. As I was talking with the girls, and even before while I was studying our notes, I wasn't feeling as though I was dealing with current issues of this nature, but it is always good to read how clearly scripture commands us to deal with certain situations. And, the foundation of this lesson is that it takes a heart change to be able to do what we're being commanded. I can't forgive someone in my own power. I can't love my enemy and extend grace because Melissa can do it - I can only do it when my heart is right and when God gives me the power to do so.


This is true on so many levels. So many things are beyond me. I can't do it on my own. I'm not expected to. If I could do it on my own, then why did Christ die for me?


It's a daily process. A process that includes prayer, Bible study and striving to be more like Him. And He loves me, in spite of me.


I am thankful for this grace! I am also thankful for my thoughtful husband. I hope soon to be thankful for one less runny nose in our house.

No comments: