Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Nice to Meet You, Ida

I celebrate a year blogging anniversary and then apparently decided to take a break. A few things to catch up on. First, Ida.

As of yesterday afternoon all of the schools in our county and some in neighboring counties had already decided to call off classes for today. This is something I'm still getting used to - snow day, anyone? I hadn't been watching the news so I didn't really know what was coming our way, so when I heard this I was a little surprised. It was dreary all day yesterday and started raining during the early evening, but I hadn't thought much of it.

We went ahead and ventured out to get some groceries and by the time we returned home it was raining steadily. We got the groceries put away, put Addie down for the night, and settled in to catch up on some TV. Around 11 Sabian and I started a rousing game of Tetris and weren't playing too long before the power went out. We brought out the candles and the flashlights, stayed up just a little bit longer, and went to bed as the rain and wind pounded us. The wind was seriously howling.

All in all this is the first we've really seen of any tropical weather since we moved here, and even at that it wasn't bad. I mean, Lake Chaney didn't even appear! In the last year there were two other hurricanes/tropical storms that were "supposed" to make their marks but ended up making more of an appearance in the Midwest than here. Our only casualty was this:
We don't have a garage so we've been using a tent as a carport for our car. It is a large tent you might set up a picnic table under, or some such thing. My dad had it and gave it to us when we moved down here, but for some reason we didn't get around to putting it up until a year later. It was great for keeping the car protected from the sun during the summer and nice when it was raining and I was getting Addie in and out of the car. Even with all of the warning and time we had to prepare we didn't even think about taking it down and as a result, we've lost it. I really can't pinpoint why we didn't think about it. In the end it just stinks that we have to trash it, but that's our lesson learned. I even remember saying, when we put it up, something about making sure we took it down when we knew storms were on the horizon. Oops.

In the midst of it all Addie snoozed through the howling and raining. We didn't hear a peep from her until about 9 this morning.

Today I am thankful for God's protection during the storm and while we headed out to get our groceries last night. Oh, and that the power wasn't out for too long so that we didn't lose said groceries!

P.S. - More posts to catch up on - I'll try today and the rest of the week.

No comments: