Wednesday, October 14, 2009

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

It is hard to tell from the photo, but these are bras - over 7,000 of them. We were passing by the mall in Panama City about a week ago and I saw this huge curtain of something in the parking lot. I said, "What is that?" and my husband casually responded, "Bras." Apparently this display had been put up while I was out of town and Sabian had already had a chance to see it, hence his familiarity with it. We pulled into the parking lot for a closer look and sure enough there they were, bra after bra after bra tied together. Unfortunately my camera battery was dead and by the time we got back out there the display was gone, so I Googled it and found this one so I could show you.

One of the radio stations in the area sponsored a bra drive in recognition of Breast Cancer Awareness month. It's a different way to do it, but it did its job by catching the attention of passersby.

It is a sad thing, but I am sure in some way we all have some sort of connection to breast cancer. I know you must see it everywhere, but this is just a reminder that not only this month, but every month before and after this, to remember and pray for those who have lost loved ones to breast cancer, are currently supporting loved ones battling it, or those who are in the midst of fighting it themselves.

On a happier note, we can also celebrate those who have beat it.

I am thankful for my mom who, in the midst of dealing with more than one major life hurdle at a time, has shown strength, grace, and courage.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

congrats and prayers for your mom!