Monday, November 3, 2008

Livin' in the 32465

On May 23, 2008 we embarked on a new adventure. Moving from Illinois to Florida came fast - decision made in April, out of town by May. Next thing we knew, we were driving a packed to the gills UHaul towing a packed to the gills minivan and a, you guessed it, packed to the gills Pontiac (complete with two bettas tucked safely away in the floorboard - separate bowls, of course) to the small town of Wewahitchka (Wee-waa-hit-ch-ka), FL.

Fifteen hours later we arrived in town. Five months later, we're still unpacking.

Wewa, as it is affectionately known (even says Wewa on the ambulances, no joke), is a small town about 25 minutes east of Panama City, FL. Small, maybe about 1800 people, and located in Gulf County, the only county in the United States that offers two time zones. Maybe I'll explain how that works in another post, but for now it is important to remember that our town is in the central time zone, so we are just like home. For me, that's a comfort.

Summing up the last five (almost six!) months is best described as an adjustment. Still adjusting, still learning. The people in our church have been great, we have a roof over our heads, and learning the nuances of a small town is nothing short of interesting. It really is different than the Midwest. I've been accustomed to visiting this area of the country since I was in junior high, but for so long it has only been a spot to stay a week and then return home. I won't lie, a 20 minute drive to the beach is nice, but there's way more to it than that. Taking the "vacation goggles" off and learning to live here is another ballgame.

So, I'm still learning. Knowing God has us here is really all that matters in the grand scheme of things, but learning to deal with both that and my human nature is an ongoing process. I suppose that is something that could be applied to not only moving, but to much of what we all deal with on a daily/weekly/hourly basis.

Oh, and the bettas, Henry and Harry, both made the trip just fine. Unfortunately, Harry bit the dust about a month ago, so now we have Hal.

I missed noting what I was thankful for yesterday. Sunday afternoon naps.

Today I am thankful for our church here. They have been very good to us and sometimes I need to remember that more.

1 comment:

Shadair said...

I thought of this for you, but I think it applies to this country depending on the out come. Actually probably for who ever gets President. Food for thought
11(O) For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare[b] and not for evil,(P) to give you a future and a hope. 12(Q) Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. 13(R) You will seek me and find me, when you seek me(S) with all your heart. 14I will be found by you, declares the LORD,(T) and I will restore your fortunes and(U) gather you from all the nations and all the places(V) where I have driven you, declares the LORD, and I will bring you back to the place from which I sent you into exile.