Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Life is Good

Sheesh, it's been a couple of weeks since I've paid much attention to this here web space. 

I come back to you a year older...sigh. But, as I sat down to write this post, as I'm remembering the hard day we had yesterday and how my joints are currently aching (thanks, Jillian Michaels), I also was just hit with a sudden feeling of...life is good

We spent the past weekend on the road with a group of girls from church. Sabian was asked to drive the bus for an over night trip our younger girls were taking and their leader invited Addie and I to tag along. We headed to Georgia with 12 middle school girls and a few adults and a good, albeit whirlwind, time. It was good to get to know some of the adults who went, people we go to church with and may "know" but I feel I had some good conversation with them this weekend. It was a fast, tiring trip, but I am glad we went. Addie was a great traveler and enjoyed all of the attention from the girls. However, yesterday and today I feel like we've been paying for just how fast the trip was.

Yesterday was a whiny, crying, not listening type of day for Addie. For me, I was exhausted and my fuse was short. Put the two of us together and it was a rough pair. But, we made it through the day to today, a new day with a better outlook.


Add on to my exhaustion that I feel like an 80 year old woman and I feel like I've been run over. Sabian and I have been working out with Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred and have tried to be as consistent as possible. The last time we worked out was either last Thursday or Friday, so I was surprised when I was feeling really sore yesterday. It seemed like too many days had passed for my pain to be contributed to the last workout but as of today I'm convinced it had to be that, and possibly us hitting the ground running with the trip has magnified it. Whatever it is, my joints hurt and weirdly, my wrists and forearms are so sore. I think I'm skipping the walk out push ups from now on...


This leads me to my birthday. While it was a great day, this is the first year since I turned 30 that I have really given thought to my age. Even when I turned 30 I didn't dwell on it. I enjoyed 30 and have really had fun in my 30s. Now I'm undoubtedly in my mid-30s, which is so weird to me. It gives more meaning to a conversation I had with my aunt several years ago (she is now in her 80s), when she said that even though her age changed, she always felt the same inside. That's exactly how I feel. I'm not dwelling on the number, but I did think more about it in the days leading up to my birthday. But, the day more than made up for any birthday blues I might have had.


Addie and I had a sweet day together, blowing bubbles, chalk writing on the driveway and enjoying the beautiful day. Sabian had arranged for a babysitter that night and we went to a movie (in the THEATER!), dinner and then went for dessert. It was so nice to have the day with Addie and the evening with my sweet husband. I felt good and I felt loved. I'd already had celebrations with both of our families when we were home a few weeks ago and this was icing on my proverbial birthday cake.


Shove aside the aches and pains and the challenging days we might have, I am thankful. As we're entering this holiday season I know I have a lot to be grateful for and I want to be able to go against my pessimistic grain and recognize these things, even on the days that are difficult.


If this picture doesn't show me what I have to be thankful for, I don't know what does!


Birthday photo with my sweet girl.

No comments: