Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Cold Sweet Home

Just two weeks after Christmas I flew home to spend a few days and to attend a baby shower that a few ladies from my home church threw for me, as well as one with my bunco babes. I never cease to be amazed at people's generosity, and these events were no exception.

The day of the festivities started with a get together at my friend Leah Beth's, the original Bunco Babe. Bagels, fruit, and sweet cinnamon rolls adorned with A's kept us going as we laughed and caught up.Cute, cute clothes and some great accessories for Addie from all of the girls. I miss those Thursday bunco nights and the girls that made them so much fun. I am grateful for these friendships and thankful we continue to keep in contact.

A few hours and a little bit of rest later, it was on to Belleville First to enjoy a couple of hours with a group of women who have all influenced me in so many ways. It can be overwhelming, having all of those special people together in one room, but in a great way. My mom, sister, sister-in-law, one of my nieces, mother-in-law, girls I've known since kindergarten, gone to school with, college with, some I've worked with and been laid off with (some even more than once!), some I have known since I was able to be carried into church, and women of all ages who have taught me in Sunday School, Missionettes, and many other ways over they years were there.

The tables looked great and the cake was so sweet:


If you look closely you'll see the cutest pair of pink flip flops on the top of the cake. On each table there was a stack of brightly wrapped boxes and on the top of each stack was a cute pair of shoes. Those shoes were all gifts for Addie, from a dear friend, Judy McCullough. Thanks to her, Addie's little toes will be stylin'. The ladies really did shower us with gifts and love, leaving me feeling very blessed.

As always, it was good to be home and to be with family. Making a long story short, I ended up with the stomach flu for a couple of days and other circumstances made for an interesting trip, but it was good to be there. It was strange to think that it was my last trip to Belleville as just me. I knew it would be hard to leave, and it was, but it will be fun to go back and introduce Addie to everyone.

I am so thankful for Leah Beth and my bunco babes, as well as the ladies who organized and attended my shower in Belleville. Sometimes a simple "thank you" seems so feeble, but I really am very thankful for my family and friends who have been so generous and thoughtful throughout this time, in Illinois, Missouri, and Wewa!

No comments: