Sunday, February 20, 2011

The best chocolate chip cookies

I know I don't typically share recipes (for no real reason), but I've made so many of these cookies in the last few weeks that I feel compelled to share. These really are the best chocolate chip cookies.

When I got married, two friends of mine gave me two separate recipe books. These books were homemade by the girls, each sharing recipes of their own, or from others, that they use and thought would be helpful. I consider these recipe books two of the best gifts I've received. I have made many of the recipes in these books over and over and have a few memorized.

In one of these books is a recipe titled, "Best Chocolate Chip Cookies." I can't remember the first time I made them, but I remember thinking then that yes, they were in fact the best I've ever made. I've been on an unofficial quest for a long time, seeking a good chocolate chip recipe. It's a staple recipe everyone should have in their stash. Well, this is the one. For me, anyway. They tend to show up at our house when we have kids from church over, when we need a little something to say "thank you" to someone, or just on a day when there's a need for chocolate.

I'm going to share it, but I will say, if you prefer fluffy cookies, these are not the cookies for you. If you are one of those people who, and I know one, prefer hard, crunchy cookies, these are not for you. These cookies come out (and STAY!) chewy, but they are more flat than fluffy. Unfortunately, they're like potato chips - you can't eat just one. 

My helper.

I love this utensil.


So, here goes. Oh, and if you do make them, please let me know. I'd love to know what you think about them!

1 1/2 sticks of butter or margarine, warmed until half melted
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup of sugar


Blend above ingredients together with mixer (although with the butter so soft, you can do it with a spoon if you prefer).

1 large egg, plus 1 egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla extract


Blend until just combined. The less you blend, the better your dough and cookies.


Add:
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt


Mix until completely blended and stir in your chocolate chips.


Arrange small spoonfuls on baking sheet - I use my small Pampered Chef cookie scoop.
Bake at 325 for 12 minutes. Take out BEFORE they turn brown. They may not look done, but trust me, they are, and this way they stay chewy even after they cool.


Where the recipe calls for 2 tsp vanilla, you can add 1 tsp vanilla and 1 tsp almond extract. I LOVE  what almond extract does to recipes and just recently started doing this with this recipe. I always use vanilla and almond extract in this recipe now. Makes them even better.


I am thankful for friends who pass on good recipes and for amazing weather!

No comments: