Thursday, March 5, 2009

Men at Work

The title of my post reminds me of these guys.

I don't remember too much about them, and what I know is mostly concerning Colin Hay, one of the guys in the band who sang a song for the movie Garden State. However, the men I refer to really means these guys:

When we first moved here it took me a little while to get used to seeing these signs and the slow moving, white vans following the groups of men dressed in prison blues and bright orange vests right here in town. Before moving to Wewa I knew there was a prison nearby, but I didn't think too much about it until I started seeing prisoners working around town on a regular basis. In fact, it is a regular occurrence, even one that happened to occur in our front yard one day. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it upsets me or scares me, it is just simply something to get used to; another one of those Wewa things.

In the midst of wanting to share this, I found the website for the Gulf Correctional Institution, the facility that is nestled in the woods around here. Another interesting tidbit - you can search the current prison population and take a look at the stats of each prisioner including height, weight, distinguishing features, their offenses, and lengths of their sentences. I don't know about you but I thought this was, um, interesting.

There's nothing to really be lost or gained by my post (unless you count the two minutes or less it took to read it), but in the spirit of sharing all things Wewa, there you go.

Today I am thankful for productivity. My list is not completely empty, but it has been reduced.

No comments: