Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Fast time or slow time?

One of the worst things about being pregnant is not being able to lick the brownie batter spoon and bowl. I've even been known to leave a little "extra" in the bowl. By the end of today I will have made three batches of brownies and who knows how many total since I have been pregnant, but I have refrained, in each instance, from licking the spoon. Well, maybe I had ONE lick at one point, but that's it. I digress...

I have proof that it does get cold in Wewa:


When I got up yesterday morning I actually had to scrape my windshield. It is a good thing I did not remove my ice scraper from the trunk when, several months ago, I thought how silly it was to have it in there. Not so silly after all.

I was up earlier than usual yesterday because I had to go to Port St. Joe for a routine lab test. Rather, a nasty glucose test that required me to drink 10 oz. of a sickly, sugary, orange drink and then sit for an hour before my blood was drawn. I wondered on the way home why they couldn't have given it to me before I went in for the test? Either way, I was up extra early because St. Joe is located in the Eastern time zone. My appointment was at 8 a.m., but I had to take into consideration that I lost an hour so technically, I had to be there at 7 a.m. Wewa time, which meant leaving 30 minutes early to get to St. Joe on time, since nothing is close to Wewa. This time change phenomenon, which I promise to explain at some point, brought back fond memories of missions trips my home church took to South Dakota. Starting in 1994, we went to an Indian reservation in for three summers in a row. We ministered to the kids on the reservation through a daily vacation Bible school and then by simply spending time with them. A pretty desolate place, these kids learned to watch for our bus each day as we went to pick them up. We also experienced a time change there and we would have to tell the kids, "fast time" or "slow time" depending on where they were. Funny how things come back around.

Monday morning brought a new surprise in our yard.

Seems our friend is getting more and more creative. I'm beginning to wonder if this is his belated way of welcoming us to the neighborhood, although if I'm right, I think we lived here first. Plus, his timing is a little off. This "gift" would have been much more useful over the summer. Wonder if he might think about dropping off a car seat or stroller or other baby items. Maybe it is time to stop writing Santa and start writing to our four legged friends.

Just because Thanksgiving is over doesn't mean giving thanks is no longer relevant. Today I am thankful for my friend Nicole who will be arriving tomorrow!

1 comment:

Lee Ann said...

Awww, have fun with your friend! Hope to see you before Christmas! Maybe you can come over for cider and cookies after we put our tree up!